Saturday, April 19, 2008

my first artist date

I went to San Rafael for an event that promised a holistic living expo and a an evening of live music and dancing. It was great. Generally I've not been comfortable in social scenes of the sort by myself. It's nice to have the camaraderie of friends. But despite initial feeling of discomfort as I sat waiting for something to happen I wound up meeting a few cool people and incidentally bumped into someone I know form Oakland. The coordination of the event was problematic. I saw a lot of people leave as there was nearly an hour in between the breakdown of the retail expo and the set up of the music. Had they even set up a dj or some form of spoken word to keep people engaged while the sound guys set up I think they could have kept a larger crowd.

The whole thing was good for me because I did dance for 3 + hours which I love! Live music is among my favorite things in life. But also because I'm interested in coordinating similar events. it was inspirational and informative for me to see how things went along giving me ideas for how the event might be better. Even being there by myself was important in the process because had a friend been there I'd more likely have spent the time talking than observing.

No comments: